Monday, May 28, 2018

Why a train layout?!



     Why a train layout?!

     A few months ago my wife, Ellen, and I were commenting that when our kids were the same age as our grandchildren we had a model train layout in our basement.  As our kids grew older the trains and layout structures were packed away and grew dusty.  Maybe it was now time to get everything out again and put together a layout for their children....our grandchildren.  We had taken them to see 'Thomas the Train' and that was also one of their favorite TV shows.  Aiden is now 7 years old and his older brother, Anthony, is now 10 years old.

     I am a 'semi-professional' woodworker and have a 1000 sq. ft. shop so I have the space to dedicate a corner to a new layout.  We thought about having a layout in the house but with eight cats it would never survive!  I also have a very good friend, Norm Reid, that is very interested in model trains and also had train layouts as he was growing up.  Norm also shares my passion for woodworking and we are also avid photographers.  I asked Norm to help and he jumped at the idea!!

     One of the first things that I did was sit down and make a list of Goals and Drivers for the layout.  I knew this was going to be a large undertaking so I wanted something to help guide our initial planning.  I thought I would post the goals and drivers as my first entry into our new blog.

     Norm and I are both excited about creating a blog and take our followers along on this journey.  Through pictures you'll meet Norm, Aiden and Anthony, and I expect I'll end up in a few shots as well.  The text will give you our thoughts on the layout as we move from one stage to another.

     We all hope to have a good time...which is all that really matters.

Jeff




HO Model Train Goals and Objectives

Goals

  • Layout for grandchildren to run trains
  • Grandchildren can help with scenery construction
  • Build realistic scenery for photography close-ups
  • Woodworking theme
  • Not based upon prototype railroad but enough operational realism to keep it interesting
  • Share the experience with my friend Norm


Drivers for layout design

Electrical
  • Automatic reversing loops to change train direction
  • Powered turnouts with toggle switch control for grandkids
  • Multiple throttle controls for multiple operators
  • Run multiple locomotives/trains at one time
  • Signals/crossing gates at road intersections in town
  • As much animation (sound and operations) as possible
    • Switch activated controls for grandkids


Scenery

  • Logging area
  • Sawmill area
  • Town area
    • workshop
    • Burning house/building
      • firetruck with siren
      • house with lights & smoke
    • roads with crossing gates
  • Lake/river
  • Wood Trestle bridge
  • Tunnel with brick/stone facade
  • multiple levels of grading so layout is not flat
  • Photographic realistic landscape and structures


Operations

  • Steam engine era
    • Locomotives should have both sound and smoke
  • Ability to locate rolling stock around layout and in a yard and then build trains
  • Traverse from logging area to sawmill to workshop in town
  • Run multiple trains
  • Have route that can run continuously while industry areas are active with other trains








No comments:

Post a Comment